Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Fair Weather & Fly By Nighters

Recently I bought two books that have been endless sources of inspiration. The first being a Tashen book on Expressionism that I found as a remainder (that MoMa catalog is still too damn expensive). Besides my usual faves of the movement, I was excited to see some work by Paula Modersohn-Becker. The self portait with Camellia branch being a particular favorite. The other book is called "Genius Isolated" and features the beautiful work of Alex Toth. The two books couldn't be more different, but they both strike me in the same way. I could pour over the work for hours, educating myself with countless techniques. What caught my eye this morning was a grand looking story on the French Foreign Legion from the Toth book. I whipped out the following story as a sort of tribute and a way to expel some rattling thoughts. Enjoy.

No comments: