Saturday, December 3, 2011

Jack Davis Signing At The Strand NYC

Jack Davis, legendary illustrator and cartoonist, discussed his work and signed his new career retrospective published by Fantagraphics at the Strand this past Thursday. Gary Groth moderated a discussion with Jack that took in his military service, time at The Art Students League, working for EC Comics- in particular Tales From The Crypt and Mad in the 1950's, the differences in working with the editorial styles Harvey Kurtzman and Al Feldstein, working on Humbug/Trump/Help!/Yak Yak, and film posters, amongst other things. Looking through his new book, I was amazed at how much of his work I've seen, whether I knew it was his or not. Jack Davis is everywhere. Below are some pictures I took at the event.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures. Is that Mr. Columbia in the first one?

Derek Van Gieson said...

Thank you Lin, I'm glad you like them. As for your question, Columbia wasn't at this event.