Saturday, July 14, 2018

WITCH WATCH Underground/Overground Track 5 Decapitated French Novelist




"Some days I hold you, some days I scold you, some days I bowl with you.."

A song about a relationship between a person and a severed head? Yep. The head can still talk, so it's not a one sided affair.

Before Austin added his new wave, uptempo drums and Rory his tasty, intricate bassline, Decapitated French Novelist started out as a super chill bit of shoegaze that was content to float away into the ether. Then a full band arrangement and lyrics grounded it into a good paced bit of catchy pop.

On this track I used a trick that I employed also on Ash & Apple, a pre-chorus. Normally when I write a song, I write the music first and then the lyrics afterwards. Sometimes I work off an arbitrary title and use it as a literary device or challenge. Can I write a song about X? Other times I'll ignore the title and write about something that has nothing to do with it. In any case, I usually write a melody on guitar or make subhuman noises vocally to rough out a vocal line. Next I'll rough out a story with a few key lines and then I'll do a bit of math and calculate the syllables per line. Lines get edited into form and I'll do a vocal demo. In this particular situation, I had written a long ass verse. A long ass verse can be boring and so I decided to add a repetitive pre-chorus:

"Some days I hold you,
some days I scold you,
some days I bowl with you

No shoulders to cry on
No arms to hold on
No legs to run from me
To run from me.."

Leading into the chorus:

"A box to put me in
A box to put you in
A box to put us in"

That leaves the verses to deal with the details of the relationship:

Verse 1:

"When I first met you,
You were beside yourself.
I took you home and
Sat you on my shelf

Verse 2:

I love your ego
I love your cortex too
Shellac preserves you
And leaves a tannish hue

Verse 3:
They say your words can
Conjure a dream or two
But when I dust you
The words are often blue"

It's fairly absurd stuff. A bit Ray Davies mixed with Robyn Hitchcock.

For those keeping track, there are two demos versions and the released studio version of the song.

You can hear the song HERE.




No comments: